Thursday 6 February 2014

Why everyone should have a Sister

I will never forget the first time myself and my Sister took the subway in New York. I am the oldest of three girls, and on this particular day we were on our way to some cutesy breakfast place. She must have known from my years of coming to New York that I was still excited to be here, again.

As we descended into the subway, she locked her arm into mine and I processed to tell her that a species of rats live in the subway and they bite your toes then slowly eat the flesh off your feet. OK I may have made what I had read in an article in the New York Newspaper that morning ( Delivered to our hotel room) a tad extreme, of course she knew during this conversation that this wasn't true, but you best believe my Sister is super smart, so I guess she lets these 'Sarah thoughts' slide.

It’s one of these conversations and moments or lessons we realize what we gain from having a sister. She has imparted so much knowledge on me — everything from help with my bad spelling, to how to use the washing machine. To Grace teaching me about child birth from a nurses view.Through it all, one thing remains true: They will always have my back and I’ll always have theirs.


Here are the life lessons learned from my Sisters:

1. How to bargain properly
It’s the summer of 2000 and something,its all about the 'leather jacket', and you desperately want your other sister’s Topshop over your River Island jacket.

After one or two turns you both settle on swapping jackets for a 'change'. It’s then, my friends, when you realize she has just taught you that a good business deal is when two people feel like they are not f*cking each other over.

2. It doesn't matter if no one else knows about it; if you and your sisters do, it’s COOL
Uh, what do you mean you haven’t heard of that weird movie where the people live in a scary house with the devils cat and solve mysteries and stuff?!

If someone hasn't heard about that totally weird piece of entertainment that only you and your sisters know about, then he or she is clearly missing out on a great movie(Amy or Grace's choice of movie BTW). Anyone else who doesn't follow is a complete alien.

3. No matter how crazy your family is, it’s yours… and you love them for it
The fact that dad sings after dinner, before dinner or during any occasion or Mam has an addiction to any programme where someone is killed, isn't a real reason to be annoyed with them, but when you are, it’s your sister's who understands most. They teach you to be grateful for the family you have and that no matter what, they’re whom you can fall back on.

4. How to hang tough and throw serious faces
When those mean people called you fat or slagged the clothes you wore such as 'cycle shorts'(Wait, timeout for a second. Can you actually believe we wore those?), it’s your sister's who told you to stiffen up and roll your eyes at the haters(Both my sisters always stuck up for me). Maybe they spoke privately to you or maybe they personally told the 'Bitch' to piss off, either way Sisters are there.

5. Be your own person
You may have learned this indirectly from your Sisters.Amy&Grace have been role models to never stop being who I am. Either way, your sisters has proven to you that loving yourself is what’s most important… but if not they always will, too.


2 comments:

  1. Love you, even if you are a tad crazy! ps Some day you will show that washing machine who's boss! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely post Sarah, i have a younger sister and I hope to teach her success in life :)
    Lauren x
    Britton Loves | Fashion Lifestyle + Photography - www.brittonloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete