Tuesday 21 January 2014

Why my career is so important to me.

If you were to take any time to watch me throughout my day, you would probably think that I am a typical girl, the girl that wants to have a family and the 'norm' girly things.  So it may come as a surprise that I consider my career as more important than having a family.

Let me explain why.

To me, a career is not just a job.  A job is simply the current employment opportunity for which someone is paid.(Quoted from Wikipedia)  Many jobs can make up a career.  Then again, many jobs can just be many jobs, leading to no career.  A career, on the other hand, is a long-term productive occupation that places a central purpose in life.  It is one’s life work.  For me its the source of value creation in a profession of one’s choosing.  And because you choose it, it represents the profession you are most passionate about pursuing.  It is something that motivates us to get up in the morning and challenges throughout the day. You should find a career that makes you happy.

While family is not essential for success and happiness, it certainly makes success special by providing us a place to share our achievements. But it is not the 'Bee-end of life'.

In 2010, I decided after many months of being tied to a job that placed me in the 'I hate my job' bracket, that I wanted a career change.  I made this decision and many decisions in my life without talking to anyone. Shortly after I started College, I informed my family that my career path was going to take me to still be creative but more options.  The probability of finding a job that suits every element of our lives is difficult, but I began an Internship, something I tell many others to adjust judgment and consider.

You might say “that is fine for you, but not for me.”  So why do I say that your career should come first?

The primary reason is because happiness comes from value creation.  You can hardly be happy, even if snuggled with the ones you love, in a career with no hope of improvement.  It is likewise difficult to build enthusiasm for a job at McDonald’s.  While earning money can in a meaningful it does not buy happiness, as I experienced while being a top Stylist in Peter Mark. I wanted to discovered a profession to love, work hard at that profession, and established a career in that field.

Family and marriage etc, as wonderful as they are, cannot give you that deep sense of achievement. So no matter how much time and effort you put into creating strong, healthy relationships, they make go as pear- shaped as a mushed up potato. The good thing is, in life you can chose what to love.

If you truly do make having a family your highest value, I would not judge. I have many wonderful friends that want to be the 'stay at home mum', fortunately for me I am too strong about my passion for a career.

My family and friends bring me an immense amount of joy.  I would not give them up and would fight with all of my might to protect and care for them They also understand how important my career is to me and do not ask me to give it up for anything.  I would certainly never ask any of them to leave there dreams behind. I encourage everyone to follow there dream career, follow that passion, prepare to work hard, above all never give up on 'having a career'.



2 comments:

  1. love this possstt !! i left retail because i was just becoming stuck somewhere that was not want i wanted to do - now i've had loads of chances to work on my photography which makes me happy every day :)
    Lauren x
    Britton Loves | Fashion Lifestyle + Photography - www.brittonloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got the inspiration from your own news to write this blog!!

      Delete