Monday 27 January 2014

Sugar Addict?

Hi, my name is Sarah and I’m an addict. My drug of choice? That sweet, sweet white powder. Yep, I love and lust for sugar.
People often toss off remarks like, 'Oh, I'm totally addicted to these cakes!' But there’s scientific evidence that sugar can be just as addictive as cigarettes or drugs. This just got real.

I just began reading a book called 'Sugar,Fat and Salt'. The title, a culmination of 10 years of research on food dependency, explains how and why sugar affects some of us so profoundly.
Here some hard facts:
'There are these pathways in the brain that are known to be activated by substance abuse and they happen to be the same pathways that can be activated by food,'.
'This might explain in part why so many people have a hard time controlling their intake even though you know you’re only supposed to have one or two biscuits.' As a person who has had the piece of  cake and gone back for more. Because it’s so palatable, sugar is one of the more common things humans crave.

Like any good addiction program, the first step is admitting you have a problem.I asked myself these two questions: Why do I find myself consuming certain foods even though I am no longer hungry? and Why do I worry about cutting down on certain foods.(Um, hi, afternoon bite of that cake)

When I looked at the foods I considered not having 'any' or 'no sugar' in them I was shocked. But would I be able to back anyway from the can from the Diet Coke?
People talk about quitting cold turkey, and while that might work for some people, the foods containing sugar are just so vast. It can be really overwhelming to try to give them all up at once.

Giving up sugar too quickly can also cause traditional withdrawal symptoms. In animal studies, rats that had been fed a steady diet of sugar water exhibited signs of depression, anxiety, and lethargy when the sweet water was removed. Side effects can be headaches and stomach pains too.
So I am going to start by removing sugary beverages first, then move on to other foods, I do eat very healthy, so its the foods containing “hidden” sugar that i need to look at.
There are about 52 different names for sugar!

The goodness in giving up sugar? Great skin, hair and nails, less tired, more energy and not having a need to wake in the middle of the night like a heroin addict thinking of the sugary granola I want/need. I’m going to start—just as soon as I finish this Diet Coke.... Muhaha



1 comment:

  1. Giving up is so good for you, I used to eat loads of crap then cut it down to dark chocolate now I rarely eat loads of sugar apart from fruit and my yog + museli for breakfast. I can tell when I've had too much and I find it easy to go back to no treaty things.
    It may sound really restrictive but come birthdays and events it just tastes even better !
    Lauren x
    Britton Loves | Fashion Lifestyle + Photography - www.brittonloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete