Wednesday 15 January 2014

Why you need good friends and say goodbye to the bad

'Relationships are essential to leading a happy life. In fact, one could make the argument that all that matters in life is our interaction with each other. Human interaction is necessary; our minds feed off it in order to function properly. In a sense, interaction is what makes us human; healthy, strong relationships teach us to be compassionate and to value life. For this reason, it is crucial we only allow ourselves to engage in good relationships, avoiding negative ones.' - Quoted from advice on friendships.

However here are my own thoughts, there is always more we can do to profit from our lives and our relationships. We can focus our energy only on beneficial relationships. Good relationships can be beneficial, but that isn’t always the case. Sometimes, what we consider a good relationship would be better referred to as a relationship that isn’t bad: It’s not exactly good, but it’s not bad, so it’s good by default. The majority of us have at least one or two of these “not bad” relationships. While it may not seem like a big deal to entertain such relationships, it is. This is something that has taken me time to learn.

Those who are most present in our lives become significant in our lives, whether we wish for it or not. By simply being present and by our awareness of their presence, these people become a part of our lives, part of us.These handful of people in my own life are what I consider my 'core rock'. Although it has been commonly viewed that any person we have had in the past as a friend or relationship still floats around in our own heads. I will of course explain what I mean below.

You won’t notice this, of course, but our memories become points on an messy web of memories, which connects to full thoughts and later to actions. The more present a person is in our life, the more we interact with him or her, and the more we tend to think about this person. The more we think about him or her, the more he or she influences every other thought that goes on in our heads.

Of course, who’s to say that some poor, or even terrible, relationships don’t lead to great ideas and amazing results? However, seeing as positive relationships lead to a happier you, and since a happier you is a more efficient you, it would be wise to stick with beneficial relationships.

Beneficial relationships come in many shapes and sizes, but what it comes down to is whether or not the total benefit of each relationship has a positive or negative effect on your life. It’s simple. Take out a piece of paper and list all the perks of being in any given relationship, as well as all the ways you are worse off because of the relationship. I do this on a regular bases ( my friends are going to kill me).

If the difference is positive, the relationship may be worth keeping.It really depends on what you value the most. For some, relationships are completely about honesty and support; for other’s, it’s all about access to a VIP party or the girlfriend that lends the nicest clothes.

When it comes down to it, for every relationship you have, you are technically giving up the time that could have been occupied by another friend.Statistically speaking, you’ll be happier if you keep your “close” relationships to about six, this is something I have now finally achieved.

Once you start hitting double digits, each relationship you have begins to suffer because you simply don’t have enough time to maintain them. This is something I should have mentioned earlier: Relationships require maintenance. But you already knew that? You also have to equally a good friend.

Deciding which relationships you should keep requires some deep thought. Usually, relationships don’t need to be cut off entirely. I seriously would not recommend you start letting people know there faults or deleting people from ones own life. It’s really more about spending time on the relationships that count and, most importantly.Unfortunately, this is usually easier said than done.

Even more difficult than ending friendships is cutting off romantic relationships. Usually, the more poisonous these relationships are, the more we try to hang on to them and convince ourselves that they’re actually good for us. Getting your life together takes courage; no one is saying otherwise. It really comes down to how badly you want to reach your full potential, and how happy you’ll be getting there. For me I have spent that last two years's building back up friendships that matter, that hold a place in my heart. Really,I am saying let go of the friends that let you down or upset you and be surrounded by the people that matter to you, even the crazy ones.




6 comments:

  1. Lovely post, absolutely agree 100%. I have one school friend I see now and who I trust so much, the rest are close but you learn who will be there for you :) family is important too, and friends can be of all ages too, my friends down the road are 30 !
    Lauren x
    Britton Loves | Fashion Lifestyle + Photography - www.brittonloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely with you! I'm sad how many friends I've lost over the years (down the health issues, I wasn't in school much) but it's definitely worked out for the best. Four rocks is all I need. x Jazzy (hivenn.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with you, but sometimes is sooo hard to let go of people! sometimes you see them drifting away and you don't know why, but other times some relationships are just not good for you...
    you have a really nice blog!
    blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is fabbers, had a good stalk just now, I'm a follower! Hope you follow me back x x

      Delete
  4. Aw guys thank you so much for the remarks on my blog, I'm only new to it and I sometimes feel I could be talking to myself, he he. It was the same for me Jazzy when I got sick but you see who matters and also the friendships worth working and fighting for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, it is so true! :) x

    ReplyDelete